If you are interested in enjoying a rewarding career as a skilled tradesperson and experiencing the many benefits membership within Local 18 has to offer, please let us know! We are always looking for qualified and interested apprentice candidates and journeypersons to join our membership. Depending on industry demand, Local 18 has an aggressive hiring policy, and as such we are always accepting applications.
Applying to Local 18 does require you to submit several mandatory documents that will make up your application package. All of our applicants, regardless of their experience, must fill out and complete the “Membership Application” document and provide the following additional documents with their application package:
- Completed “Membership Application” form (printed or obtained from either of our offices)
- A cover letter outlining the trade you are applying to become a member in: Carpentry, Drywall, Flooring or Pile Driving
- An up-to-date resume including, but not limited to, the following information:
- Related Work Experience (detailed if in construction)
- Safety Training Courses and Certificates
- References (include contact information)
- A copy of your High School Transcript and Apprenticeship Contract if registered (required if applying for an apprenticeship)
- A copy of your Certificate of Qualification or Red Seal Certificate (required if applying as a journeyperson)
- A copy of GH-WHMIS and Working at Heights Training Certificates
- Proof of any related Training and Certificates
- Copy of Certificate of Completion for “Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps” Online Program (Mandatory for all applicants to complete prior to submitting application)
All applicants are required to submit their completed application package, with all supporting documents, in person at either our Hamilton or Niagara office, which ever location is most convenient. Should you be unable to visit us, please submit your completed application package online, with all supporting documents, as well as proof of current mailing address that you reside within the Hamilton/Niagara area, to [email protected]. *Please note that incomplete application packages unfortunately will not be accepted – ensure you have included all required documents.
If you are currently a member of another U.B.C. Local you will need to transfer into Local 18. Please Visit the U.B.C. Transfers page for more information on this process of joining Local 18.
Should you have any questions with regards to our application process, please contact either the Hamilton or Niagara office. We are always here and happy to help you with your questions.